Monday, August 25, 2008

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

I have to honestly say that if feels good to be back at work and in full swing with things! It's a miracle what a routine can do to your life!! Although leaving Kayin at Steph's last week with the realization that summer "vacation" was officially over, it felt good to be back with the kids. There is nothing like seeing the face of a smiling 6-year-old on that first day of school. I am really trying my hardest to take it really slow this year (which most teachers say every year) and instill good work habits, listening skills, and classroom/building expectations. I think the first day we had to practice lining up quietly about 10 times before they realized what I was expecting...and I wasn't giving in!!

There is a funny story however (well, it wasn't funny at the moment)! I may be old school, but when I ask the children to do something, I would like the respect of the response, "Okay Mrs. Brinkmeyer" or "Yes, Mrs. Brinkmeyer". When I asked this little girl, " I see that you are talking with your friend during work time. Can you please sit quietly and focus on your own work." She looked at me, rolled her eyes, and responded, "Why do I have to answer to you?" Needless to say, I was taken back a little bit considering that this just-turning-6 little girl would say something like that!!!

1 comment:

Meghan said...

Yikes! It sounds like that little girl needs some attitude adjustment! Apparently not a lot of discipline is happening around her house!